Intimate narratives of everyday experience of 19th and 20th century Londoners through the smellscape.
The aim of the project is to use the dataset as a tool to explore and interpret the lives and health of the 19th and 20th century Londoners. During the second phase how smells are linked to health and the socio-economic identity of London streets will be investigated.
Phase 1 (2016):
- The project is to data mine over 5500 Medical Officer of Health (MOH) reports from the Greater London area spanning from 1848 to 1972.
- A dataset of smell-related words is created.
- The smells in the dataset is further categorised.
- A simple map of smell-related words is created using CARTO.
Phase 2 (2017):
- An interactive Leaflet map showing different smell categories through time is created.
- Sentiment analysis with R
- A report to be produced.
Phase 3 (2017-18)
- Further Natural Language Processing: extracting implied smells.
- The data collected to be mapped onto the 19th and 20th century London Streets.
NB This website is a work in progress.